22 June 2011

Crepes

One of the things that I love the most about going to the movies is being able to grab a bite while watching a movie. Sometimes I'll have a roast beef or jamón serrano with cheese pannini, other times a ham and cheese crepe or a sweet one with nutella or jelly, in times even both, one for dessert! I love to recreate something I have at a restaurant or so, adding a twist of my own. I warn you, once I master a recipe or even if I do it once, I don't usually follow the quantities anymore, I do it on eye, until I guess I get the desired texture or flavor. The thing is, sometimes I'll search for a certain recipe and take the aspects that I like the most about several recipes found and create one of my own. This one is totally worth it!
Crepes
(Makes about 5 depending on the size of the pan)
  • About 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg
  • About 1/2 cup of milk
  • About 3/4 cup of iced water
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla (for sweet crepes)
  • Butter (needed quantity)
  • Bananas (n/q)
  • Strawberries (n/q)
  • Nutella (n/q)
  • Chocolate fudge (for decoration)
  • Cream cheese (n/q)
  • Ham (n/q)
  • Manchego cheese (n/q)

In a bowl, whisk the flour and salt with the egg, milk and the iced water until you get a runny liquid consistency. In the case of the sweet crepes, you add the vanilla as well to this mixture. Brush a bit of butter to the heated pan and with the help of a big spoon add the mixture, tilt the pan in a circular way so all of the surface gets covered. Let cook in medium heat for a couple of minutes and then turn and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side. When done, remove and set aside. Between each crepe, I would recommend to brush a little butter on the pan and add a little water to the mixture to make sure you maintain the same runny consistency. When you're all done it's time to fill them in. Start by arranging the desired combination of ingredients but just in half of the crepe and make sure you don't over fill it so it's easy to fold. Fold in half and then again in half. You can decorate if you want to.

*There's an infinite amount of combinations you can make either if you want them salty or sweet. I recommend the following:

-Ham and cheese with jalapeño peppers on the side (you can use any type of ham and cheese) (When I want something fancier I drizzle these with a mushroom sauce I achieve by melting butter in a pan, adding a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch for a dense consistency, I add a bit of milk, cream, cream cheese, sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper).

-Chicken and mushrooms -Cajeta and crushed pecans

-Cream cheese and nutella

-Cream cheese and blackberry jelly (or any type of jelly or preserves)

Just to mention a few, you can try some and share them with me. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment